March 6

UPDATE IN THE CLASSROOM

UPDATE IN THE CLASSROOM

Language

We are just wrapping up our books clubs, students are now working with their group members creating a “book report” through Google Slide Show and some would like to present with a Green Screen. For those students who are BYOD, feel free to add the app “Do Ink” – it does cost $3.99. It’s not mandatory, but it’s a fabulous app to experiment with for future presentations.

We have been doing a lot of reading on NEWS-O-MATIC, a great app with real world news written for kids. Our grade 3’s explode into an inquiry of questions about the world through the articles we read.  We have developed these questions into a ‘google research project’. Students were asked to pick something they find interesting, and create 5-7 questions about the topic that they would like to know more about. From that, each student met with myself to make sure we had questions that would provoke deep learning.

Some of our topic’s include:

• how baseball was created
  • the atmosphere
  • the northern lights
  • who created basketball
  • 7 new planets
  • frogs
  • animals that flow

MATH

We are exploring fractions in the real world. Today we used Proportional Rods to provoke conversations about whole, halves, thirds and quarters. Students are working on a Dreambox assignment involving fractions, time and money (which all interrelated).

SKATING

We are skating tomorrow at Ray Twinney and we will be walking over. If you would like to join us feel free to walk with us, we will be leaving the school around 9:30a.m. Skating from 10am- 11am and then walking back.

MARCH BREAK

Just a reminder March Break starts March 13th – 17th. We are back to school March 20th.

Posted March 6, 2017 by jennifer burrows in category General

About the Author

Welcome to my Classroom Blog! My name is Jennifer Burrows and I've been teaching the primary grades for the last 16 years. This year I will be your child's language and math teacher. I am a full time teacher however my afternoons will be spent as a math coach in our school. In our fast moving technological society, I have created a classroom blog that you can check from your computer, tablet or mobile phone. Our classroom learning is now at the tip of your finger, not on your fridge held by a magnet.